The Iossifidis Laboratory focuses on research and teaching in the areas of artificial intelligence, the development of biologically inspired autonomous robotic systems, the development of Brain Computer Interfaces (BCI ) and it’s application in medical technology. The understanding of the mechanisms of information processing in the human brain form the basis for developing theory of machine learning algorithms and the transfer to artificial systems.
Further scientific foci are the design of so-called “Simulated Realities” (VR/AR) for the simulation and evaluation of interactions between humans, machines and the environment, the development of generative models of human movements, as well as the development of cortical, exoprosthetic components.
- Virtual reality based Machine Learning Arm-Hand Function Evaluation and Support (VAFES)
- Lead market IKT.NRW (EFRE) – funding volume € 2.092.917,- / € 898.747,-(HRW)
- Smart rehabilitation of the upper extremities through an intelligent soft exoskeleton (REXO)
- Leitmarkt Gesundheit.NRW (EFRE) – funding volume: € 2,084,843.- / € 998,607.
- DFG: Motor-parietal cortical neuroprosthesis with somatosensory feedback for restoring hand and arm functions in tetraplegic patients
- BmbF – NSF USA Collaboration Grant: “Towards wearable BCI systems that leverage contextual neuromechanics and edge-computing”(under review).
- BmBF: Development of a virtual pain clinic for use in multimodal pain therapy (under review).